tagsoup.org

Switching off the idiot box

Sunday, November 01, 2009

I think I watch too much tv.

I know it's a common complaint, and there's a lot of good programming out there that I shouldn't feel is wasted time. Nonetheless, I do somehow end up watching too many things that I can barely even remember afterwards. I'm looking at you Property Ladder.

So, I've worked up a short checklist of avoidance tactics, that (mostly) work for me:

  • Go out. Any excuse: For a walk, shopping, take some photos, read a book in the park. It doesn't matter. Leaving the flat will always raise my mood.
  • Focus. Don't surf the net while watching telly. This is a particular problem for me: I focus quite intently on one thing, flipping between stimuli - catching all of neither, and never quite relaxing and immersing myself in one. Put the laptop out of reach, or turn the telly off.
  • If it's late enough, go to bed - get more sleep and be in a fitter, happier and more productive mood the next day. If I'm not tired, 30 mins with a book does the trick.
  • Only watch programmes off the PVR, turning the decision to watch into a two-step one. This doesn't wholly work for me, as I still, after all this time, occasionally record crap. I'm still looking at you, Property Ladder.

3 Comments

  • “I agree ... I often fall into the same bad habits as you, particuarly watching tv while surfing the internet but find in one way Sky Plus helps by letting me just watch the decent programs I've recorded, but by sometimes making the matter worse when I have a lot of recorded stuff that I have to catch up on.”

    About this comment

    Posted by Blogger Annie @ Sunday, 01 November, 2009  

  • “Or get rid of your telly - worked for me. Plus it means

    a) when people are discussing telly programmes in the pub you can pompously say 'well, of course, I know nothing about that, I don't have a television', making you look all bohemian and interesting

    b) you get to spend more time on the important task of catching up on DVD box sets

    Unless you watch all your telly on your laptop of course, in which case you're buggered.”

    About this comment

    Posted by Anonymous Dan @ Wednesday, 11 November, 2009  

  • “Modern Warfare 2 seems to cut into my TV viewing time very effectively. But not sure that counts as spending time more 'productively'”

    About this comment

    Posted by Blogger Mark H @ Friday, 27 November, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

If you liked this, you might also like: hampson.org.uk